Favorite way to spend your free time?
When I'm not in the shop, I'm traveling (when it's allowed), reading, or strolling through a museum, usually with one or all of my three children. I am always cultivating a new hobby. Sometimes it's working on my French fluency, sometimes it's a boxing class. I have at least two cameras with me at all times, my phone and a Leica pocket camera. So for the fall I am really excited for a RISD online photography class on my calendar.
What are you reading right now?
I am in the middle of reading The Vanishing Half at the moment. But I've always got something going.
What is your all time favorite movie?
I love movies and soak up all aspects of the movie as I'm watching: costume design, set design, art direction, music. It's hard to choose. But if I had to choose just one, I would say The Red Violin. It traces the story of a violin from its maker in 17th century Cremona to present day through all its owners.
Favorite travel destination you've visited?
Seriously. I cannot choose just one. My sister and I had a wellness retreat in Bali a few years ago and I'll never forget the magic of that island. My daughters and I had a month in Europe a few years ago and spent a week road-tripping through Switzerland, then spent a week in Crema, Italy living like locals. It was the summer after Call Me by Your Name came out in theaters and we were able to see the film on a big outdoor screen in the square where much of the movie took place. More magic.
A follow up question - What is a dream travel destination you would like to visit?
Most days you can find me in jeans (my favorite here), boots or sneakers (my favorite here), a t-shirt and a sweater or jacket of some sort. That's when I feel most like myself. I do love a jumpsuit though, or a skirt with a t-shirt and sneakers. And when I'm home, I love a chance to spend a day in my pajamas.
What are your 2020 resolutions?
Rather than make a list of resolutions, I usually choose a guiding word for the year. This year it was Simplicity. The past few years have been a bit crazy, so I decided I wanted to simply focus on what's important to me: family, creativity, health. It's really helped me focus my energy. Before I embark on anything, I ask myself "will this simplify my life, or complicate it." If the answer is not "simplify," I don't do it.
Top Ten Things I Can't Live Without
- Vintner's Daughter Botanical Serum . I use it twice a day.
- Andie Amalfi Swimsuit. It looks chic and simple, and stays on when frolicking on the beach.
- This slip dress for when I have evening plans. It's chic with flat sandals and a cardigan for dinner or a party with friends.
- Moscot Lemtosh Sunglasses. I have worn these frames for years in various colors. I have my optometrist change the lenses to my prescription so I can wear them driving, boating, or walking the flea markets.
- French Girl Lip Tint in Ambre Noire . I've never found the perfect red lip tint, so this is my go to with a light coat of gloss for day or a few layers of the tip tint for evening.
- For a few years I indulged in eyelash extensions. But since the quarantine began, I have found an application of LashFood Lash Serum at night, and a coat of Smashbox Lash Primer under my mascara gives me the same impact with much less time and money invested.
- K. Jacques Epicure Sandals . My chic French friend Philippine taught me to invest in these beautifully made sandals and I've worn them all summer long for years.
- Bioderma Atoderm Lip Balm . I always stock up when I'm in France, but in a pinch I can buy it here in the states.
- Ritual Essential Vitamins for Women. They're delivered to my mailbox every month. I'm no doctor, but I think they give me a healthy, energetic feeling.
- Hobo Fanny Pack . This is the perfect bag for traveling. I wear it like a cross body bag, so my money and documents are close, and in the winter I can wear it under my coat.
Laurie's chosen non-profit is Smile Train. Read about our partnership with Pledge, an organization that allows us to donate a portion of each sale to ten causes, each one chosen by one of our team members. >
Read other blog posts by Laurie
Meet the rest of the team